Latest News

RGC end year with a win

RGC end year with a win 30 Dec 2023

RGC 14 Cardiff 9

Saturday 30th December 2023


RGC ended the year with a home win infront of a crowd of 1471.

It was the Gogs that struck first with a penalty from distance as Sam Earl-Jones hit it.

The visitor had some good possession and tested the RGC defence with some kicks to the corner, as they tried to power with the pack and drives.  They got on the scoreboard with a Harri Wilde penalty to level.

The penalty count was in the visitor's favour but the couldn’t take any advantage with the ball in hand.

RGC got back into the Cardiff half with a good break with Sam Earl-Jones putting a dent in the visitor’s defence.

It wasn’t a half the was full of action, and as a spectacle, it was pretty stop/start.

Lucas de la Rua was carrying well for Cardiff, as they again had some good possession in the RGC half.

With the half ticking down RGC finished strong with good work from Sam Earl-Jones and Delwyn Jones before Harri Ford put a good nudge to turn the Cardiff backline round.

RGC got the try when Efan Jones made a dart down the wing and dived over the line to score.

That score was improved at the break when Sam Earl-Jones added another penalty.

Sam Earl-Jones had an opportunity to increase the lead at the start of the 2nd half but the boot of the full-back misfired.

Sam Williams put a great tackle in, which led to a Cardiff knock-on as they built some phases.

Cardiff closed the gap with another Harri Wilde penalty in the 53rd minute.

RGC put in a big shove in the scrum and gave them some momentum.

A good break from the Gogs and Harri Ford was taken out with a shoulder as he kicked ahead and the penalty was rewarded.  Earl-Jones hit it and the lead was 14-6

The game started to open up and Dan Owen found himself on the wing and sprinted to halfway before a kick and chase.

Cardiff needed some points and began to move the ball, finding some gaps down the left wing but RGC were ontop around the breakdown.

RGC opted for a couple of penalties to touch and driving mauls, which ended in them being held up on the line.

Sam Earl-Jones was unable to extend the lead with a penalty.

Cardiff pushed for the score but the Gogs scrum again worked well to win the penalty and clear the pressure.

The pressure was back on when the resulting lineout went to the Cardiff hands.

The 1471 crowd at Stadiwm CSM was urging the Gogs on at every tackle and every breakdown, and it was working as the players dug in.

With a minute left Afon Bagshaw was sent off for a high tackle, and the game ended with Cardiff hitting a penalty to get them a losing bonus point.


Head Coach Ceri Jones


“It was a fantastic win for the group and it was a big game against a team that we haven’t had good results against for a few years.  The boys needed to get that win and I am delighted for them”

Today we won the physical battle every time we needed to, and was the most physical I have seen us.

At the line-out when you take Huw and IIan out, it’s a big ask for Owain who hasn’t been with us as much this season, and when you add the conditions, it becomes difficult. 

I have to thank Huw for his efforts over the past 6 months, and if we had been more accurate today it would have turned a tight win into a comfortable win, but I will take that.


We move onto to Ebbw Vale in 2 weeks and they will bring physicality and a kicking game, but we want to build on today, especially with the crowd we had today!”