Latest News

Spirit and Skill Secures Win

Spirit and Skill Secures Win 17 Feb 2019

RGC end game with 13 men but get BP Win

Newport 25 RGC 28

Sunday 17th Feb 2019

RGC put in the performance of the season to defeat Newport 28-25 on Sunday.

The fact they ran in 4 tries, and both attack and defence were switched on for the whole game gained them even more respect when they had Robin Williams red carded in the 15th minute and played the last 10 minutes with 13 men after Will Sanderson was yellow carded.

It was Newport who took the lead with an Andy Evans try and the homeside were looking lively in attack with a number of plays.  Things were made worse when Robin Williams was given the red, but credit to RGC as they regrouped and got into the game.

From that point RGC looked clinical and crisp with ball in hand and even more physical without it.

Harri Evans claimed his sides opening try after a clever Billy McBryde crossfield kick before the winger took the ball to touchdown. McBryde added the extras.

Will Bryan and Jordan Jones were closing down carries and the hustling was causing some mistakes from Newport.

O’Brien did regain the lead for his side with a penalty.

The game was being played at a fast pace, with plenty of space on the field. Credit to RGC who didn’t look like a team with a man disadvantage.

Both wingers for RGC were causing problems, and it was Sam Jones who grabbed the 2nd score when he raced down the line to go in. McBryde again hit a good conversion to make it a 14-8 lead at the break.

RGC had a penalty early in the 2nd half but McBryde pushed it wide.  

The game management of RGC was intelligent as the looked to play the game in the Newport half and looked to ramp up the pressure with a couple of lineouts and drives.

Newport hit back with a sucker punch going from there line to the tryline within 2 minutes for Chay Smith to go over.

Jordan Jones made a great break to get RGC back on the front foot, and then a spell on rugby where Dion Jones, Sam Jones and Harri Evans all made yards with ball in hand.

RGC needed to keep the ball, and they made sure passes went to hand and when they did kick it was into space to chase down.

Iolo Evans was next to over after taking the pass on the run to keep going, McBryde again on fire with the boot.

Minutes later the bonus point arrived for a super score, started from a Dion Jones run before the ball shifted down the backline for Harri Evans to skip over. Conversion again from the boot of McBryde.

It was a frantic last quarter for RGC who had to defend hard and make sure the exit plan was exact and they dug in.

Fitness wise the Gogs were still chasing down balls, making big tackles and covering every blade of grass to keep the defensive line solid

Will Sanderson was yellowed after a penalty try was given and then it was backs to the wall. 

RGC were looking to get the ball deep into Newport territory, but with the 2 extra men they were able to run the overlaps and make breaks.

The nerves increased when Kyle Taylor went over, but O’Brien rushed the conversion and missed the chance to make it a 1 point game.

There was still time for Newport to have another go, but the 13 RGC shirts made one last huge effort and forced the knock to claim a win to remember for  long time.