Latest News

RGC run Cardiff Close

RGC run Cardiff Close 8 Oct 2022

RGC 21 Cardiff 25

8th October 2022

Stadiwm CSM


It was a bright start from RGC, with the homeside playing the opening minutes in the Cardiff half.

With a crowd of 1,200 watching it was just what the home fans wanted to see, with some good attacking rugby.

They were rewarded with a penalty and 3 points when Sam Rogers hit a successful penalty. The Gogs flyhalf was on target on the 12 minutes with his second penalty as RGC were making sure they took the points when they were available.

The game turned when Cardiff broke down the field before Afon Bagshaw failed to get his hands on a pass and was adjudged to have deliberately knocked on.  Cardiff were awarded a penalty try and RGC were behind and their captain yellow carded.

Harrison extended the visitor's lead with a penalty.  The side from the capital were looking to expose the space in the Gogs backline with Millard and James both looking dangerous with ball in hand.

Ethan Fackrell did well to keep Cardiff out after they were camped on the RGC lines, but it wasn’t long until they went over for try number two.  Jacob Lloyd was the one to cross the line.

RGC answered back with another Rogers penalty to close the gap.  The number advantage was in Cardiffs favour when scrum-half Efan Jones was yellow-carded.

The lineout wasn’t firing in the opening 40 minutes but the RGC scrum one a good penalty in the 39th minute which gave Sam Earl-Jones the chance to kick from his own half but it edged just wide.

It was Cardiff that got the early 2nd half score when James hit the penalty over, to give his side a 9-18 lead

The task for RGC was made even more difficult as Cardiff built some good phases before Ollie Robinson crashed over for the try and James kicked the extras.

RGC put in a really good phase of rugby, from a strong scrum, powerful maul and then moving the ball well. Matt Buchanan and Ethan Fackrell both making good yards.

Delwyn Jones went close but was held up on the line.

The Gogs were having plenty of ball, Efan Jones and Dan Owen making breaks but couldn’t get away from the Cardiff defensive line.

Cardiff made another break with James was met with a thunderous tackle from Dion Jones who stopped him in his tracks.

Credit to RGC as they continued to ask the questions and a try arrived when Bagshaw collected a looping pass to dab down.

RGC were finishing strongly, and Bagshaw took a looping pass in the corner to get over for the score. Rogers hooked the conversion wide.

The pressure was building, and Nathan Hudd was shown a yellow for the visitors.  Frustratingly the Gogs were held up on the line when the maul drove over.

RGC did get over when Christian Hone crashed through to get a try before Dion Jones kicked the conversion to close the gap to 4 points but the final whistle came soon after.