Latest News

RGC Beat Bridgend

RGC Beat Bridgend 7 Dec 2019

Bridgend 5 RGC 24

Saturday 7th December


RGC picked up their second away win of the season, with a solid performance at Bridgend.

The home side came into the game desperate for a good result, and started the game with a high tempo.

RGC were having to work hard and managed to contain Bridgends attacking danger in the opening phases.

Rhys Williams was the attacking outlet for the Gogs, with Efan Jones setting him up for the run on a couple of occasions.

Errors were costing RGC possession, with loose passes, knock ons and forward passes giving Bridgend the ball

Billy McBryde had a chance to get some points on the board with a long range penalty but he pushed it wide.  The fly-half didn’t have to wait long to for another attempt, and gave his side the lead after 15 minutes.

That score settled the away side and took the wind out of Bridgend.  The focus and accuracy in attack began to build in RGC’s play, and they began to get an foothold in the match.

They were soon rewarded with a try, after Tom Hughes dummy pass created a break before he set up full-back Dion Jones for the touchdown. McBryde hit the conversion for the 10 point lead.

Both wingers were causing damage with Rhys Williams running some good attacking lines, whilst Harri Evans pace was opening up the defence.

RGC were composed in attack, and built some good phases in the Bridgend half.  McBryde spotted a gap near the line, and his outstretched hand reached over the whitewash to grab a try.  He was successful with the extras as well.

The breakdown battle was being one by RGC as well, as they stifled Bridgend at every opportunity and the homeside were struggling to make any inroads in the RGC half.

On a few occasions this season RGC have looked sluggish is the 2nd half, and Bridgend look to test them from the restart and get some point on the board.

They had some good ball, with fly-half Ryan Evans looking to get his side back in the game.  RGC soaked up the pressure, and McBryde managed to get the turnover at a key time to clear the ball.

Minutes later Efan Jones went close to scoring an opportunist try, after getting his boot to the loose ball he raced from halfway to try and collect it, before being stopped inches from the line.  Credit the players as the showed great composure to regroup and move the ball wide and Harri Evans went close to scoring.

Bridgend’s Floyd Ellis was yellow carded for an infringement in that play, and RGC took full advantage of the extra player when Dan Owen grabbed his sided 3rd try of the game. Again McBryde was on point with the conversion.

Harri Evans ripped open the Bridged defence with a lung bursting run down the wing, and combined with Andrew Williams before returning the ball to Evans, but the wingers attempt of a Fijian style pass didn’t come off.

Jordan Jones and Jordan Scott made a couple of big tackles that could be felt in the stands.

RGC were looking for the bonus point try, but it was the home side that ended to game with the score when winger Caine Woolerton got his team a try, and their only points in the match.

That score didn’t detract from a composed performance, and a result that the Gogs will look to build on next week against Aberavon


Post Match Billy McBryde gave his thoughts -

"We were all disappointed after the Quins game, both the result and our performance.  It is a highly competitive league this season so winning on the road is always difficult, no matter who you play.

Not getting that bonus-point try is slightly frustrating but we lost here at the back end of last season, so it is good to come away with the win."