Latest News

Quins Claim Win

8 Apr 2023

Carmarthen Quins 32  RGC 31

Saturday 8th April 2023


RGC will look back at a crucial 3 minutes at the start of the 2nd half where they conceded 14 points where they were in a leading position and again gave themselves to much to do which resulted in a 1-point defeat.

Quins took the lead after the pack did the work at the scrum and then a driving maul put them in a good position, before scrum-half Rhods Davies took a quick tap and go to dart over for a try in the first few minutes, Steff Marshall added the conversion.

Both sides had possession and looked to make inroads through the defensive line, but the spark and pace of the game was lacking.

Quins were finding some gaps but whenever they did break, the RGC tackles stifled the attacks.  Delwyn Jones and Sam Rogers both making important tackles at key times.

Try number 2 came and it was the homeside that claimed it when winger Corum Nott touched down in the corner. Marshall wasn’t able to convert.

The Gogs looked to claw back the score and made a great break down the field before Sam Rogers went close to the line.

Minutes later Jordan Jones went one better and crossed the line for the try and Dion Jones knocked the conversion between the sticks.

Quins hooker Lewis Morgan was making some good yards in the first half, and carrying his side into good field positions with breaks from his own half.

The boot of Marshall extended his sides lead to 8 points with a penalty in the 35 minute.

RGC answered back when Matt Buchanan made a strong run through some tackles before setting up Dan Owen for the try. Dion Jones pulled the conversion wide.

The visitors were picking up the pace, chasing down the ball and forcing errors from Carmarthen.

On the 40th minute the Gogs took the lead for the 1st time, after the driving maul edged to the line and a number of players tried to get the ball over finally Dan Owen spotted a gap and dabbed down. Dion Jones again couldn’t find accuracy with the extras. 

When they left the field they had the lead and the momentum and would loom to build on this in the 2nd half.

Similar to the opening 40 minutes, Quins striked early with a try from Lewys Millin and a Marshall conversion.  They backed themselves with a penalty to touch and from the set piece got numbers wide and scored.

Matters were made worse minutes later when a mix-up in defence presented Josh Batcup with a simple BP try and Marshall added the extras.

Conceding 14 points in 3 minutes was not the 2nd half start the Gogs were looking for, and would prove crucial to how the game played out.

RGC looked to get back in the game, with the pack looking to drive over but ended with a Quns penalty.

Quins were defending well, and clearing the lines with the boot of Marshall getting good territory easing the pressure on a defence that was being tested.

The pace of the game dropped again, which suited the homeside with the points advantage on the board.

RGC were having to chase the game, which has been a similar story this season and with that forcing some errors.

The Gogs picked up the pace and a great kick/chase resulted in an RGC penalty. That gave the visitors the scrum and set piece attack, before Elis Evans went in at the posts with Dion Jones hitting the extras.

Again chasing the game but bringing themselves within 4 points they needed to get possession and carry on the momentum but from the restart Quins got hold of the ball and went on the attack, before a Marshall penalty extended the lead to 32-24.

It became a 1-point game when on his 100th appearance Bryn Jones carried hard before Dion Jones evaded a few tackles to score against his old club.  He also kicked the conversion.

With the clock ticking down Quins were able to see out the game and claim the bonus point win.  Though they came close at the end of the game, it was the start of the 2nd half that proved costly as the damage was done.