Latest News

Quins Claim Another Win

2 Nov 2019

Another disappointing visit to Carmarthen ends in defeat

Carmarthen Quins 22 RGC 6

Saturday 2nd November 2019


Carmarthen hasn’t been a successful away trip for RGC in recent years, and that run of losses continued after a 22-6 defeat on Saturday. In a game played in torrential rain it was the home side that adapted to the conditions as the match went on scoring 3 tries from driving mauls, and RGC were unable to find a way to stop them.

The visitors had a good start full of energy with some energy with a kick chase game.  Efan Jones was again looking bright and made a quick pick and go from the back of the scrum to set up Afon Bagshaw, but the winger was bundled into touch. All the play was in the Quins half, and RGC managed to get some points on the board with a Billy McBride long range penalty.

Some good tactical kicking was proving successful as well, with Dion Jones and Billy McBryde both getting the ball behind the Quins defence. Scores were level when Jack Wilson hit a penalty for the home side.

That seemed to settle them, and soon after they got the try from an attacking lineout, with the forwards driving over from distance. Wilson added the extras. Matters were made worse when Robin Williams was yellow carded.

RGC were looking to play with pace, and Bagshaw took a quick line-out in his own half to get the ball moving.  That attacking thinking was rewarded with and RGC penalty, and McBryde closed the gap to 4 points.

The 1-man advantage for Carmarthen soon became 2, when RGC captain Tom Hughes was given a yellow card for a high tackle. It wasn’t long before Quins made the numbers count and used the driving maul to get over again. Dan Booth claiming the score.

As the half closed, it was back to the wall stuff for RGC as the managed to see the clock down with no more scores.

The rain continued to pour down, and Quins game management was winning the day.  They kicked well in the 2nd half to pin RGC back and made sure the visitors backline had to be on form to collect the kicks.

RGC, on the other hand, were not kicking as well and gave the ball away far too easily without testing the Quins. The only score of the 2nd half came from the home side, and unsurprisingly came from another drive.  Quins pack powered over and Booth got his 2nd try. Wilson nudged the conversion over.

RGC were unable to get much go forward ball and didn’t make many inroads through the home sides defence.

Like many games played in these conditions the pattern became a familiar story for RGC, and they never really tested the Quins line. The kicks from hand continued to give Quins easy possession and they were more than happy to collect.

Ed Siggery was Yellow carded, but RGC couldn’t take advantage of the extra man.

The home side were more than happy to keep the play in the RGC half and kicked the ball well to make sure RGC were having to attack from their own 22 metre line.  The breakdown arm wrestle was also being won by Carmarthen, as RGC were being turned over which again stopped any momentum in attack.

It was very much job done for the Quins, and the game ebbed away as quickly as the rain fell in the final 10 minutes. The conditions were the same for both sides, but Carmarthen were the ones that controlled the game in the wet, and RGC will have to learn to adapt in the coming months especially on the road.