Latest News

Cup Campaign Starts With Win

Cup Campaign Starts With Win 5 Jan 2019

RGC impress in Newport win

Newport 17 RGC 35

Saturday 5th January 2019


RGC started their National Cup campaign with an impressive win against last years finalist Newport under the lights of Cardiff Arms Park.

The Gogs were direct from the start, and caused Newport problems with ball in hand. Tom Hughes and Harri Evans were combing to make some good yards into the Newport half.

It was all RGC in the opening minutes, and they were rewarded with the 1st try from Efan Jones, with Billy McBryde hitting the conversion

The visitors continued to attack with Bryn Jones and Andrew Williams carrying well.   The scoreboard ticked on with a McBryde penalty.

Newport were working hard to keep the score down, but the tide was still in RGC’s favour with waves of attacks.  Tom Hughes went close with the line insight but again Newport cleared the ball.

Harri Evans did manage to get over for a try, after a good break from Danny Cross and a fortunate set up after a Dion Jones kick.

The next score was one for the highlight clips, when Dion Jones collected a kick on his own 22m line, broke the defence and passed to Mei Parry, before Harri Evans jinked passed some tackles to grab his 2nd score of the game.

Try number 4 was a simpler affair after some good work from the pack, before Hughes crashed over.

The Newport side did get on the board when Geraint O’Driscoll scored and Hadyn Simmons hit the conversion

RGC continued the scoring within minutes of the 2nd half when Hughes again opened up the field, and Iolo Evans crossed the line.

Newport Fullback David Richards was causing some problems with his pace, and was unlucky not to score after a good individual run to the line.

McBryde hit the penalty to make it 32-7

The game opened up with both sides opting for the long passes to try and create some space.

Former RGC Academy player Adam Sabri attacked towards the line, before being tackled but Mathew Read followed in support to score.

The Black and Ambers were having a good spell in attack, and Dion Jones managed to end another attacking Sabri run down the line.

With the changes off the bench, RGC didn’t really have the same flow as in the 1st half, and Newport were having more of the ball and territory.

Nick Butterworth did make a god break but his pass failed to hit the hands of Delwyn Jones when the try looked on for the centre.

It was pretty much job done for RGC, as the breakdown area became a bit of a mess for both sides in the final 5 minutes and all momentum fizzled out.

Newport had one last go with the pack driving towards the line and the did pick up their 3rd try with Dan Preece grabbing it.