Latest News

Cardiff Claim Cup Win

Cardiff Claim Cup Win 26 Jan 2019

Cardiff ended RGC’s cup hopes with a 27-15 victory at Stadiwm Zip World


Saturday 26th Jan 2018

With the game in the balance and the visitors leading 19-15 in the 2nd half, RGC centre Tom Hughes made one of his trademark breaks but didn’t have the support runners, from the resulting tackle the ball was kicked ahead from Cardiff and minutes later they had scored with a Max Llewellyn try. Thompson converted.  Matters were made worse when Afon Bagshaw was yellow carded and Thompson hit a penalty to put the game out of reach.

It was Cardiff who opened the scoring in the game with an early try from Joey Thomlinson and Thompson added the extras.

Billy McBryde hit back with a penalty, as both teams looked for the upper hand around the scrum.

It was the visitors who crossed the whitewash again when Adam Jones scored to silence the home crowd.

RGC made a couple of good breaks, making some yards in attack from Efan Jones and Tom Hughes but the lack of runners on their shoulders ended the play, and Cardiff were able to scramble the defence.

The Gogs were working hard around the breakdown area, and looked to break on the counter attack but just couldn’t take advantage when they got the ball.

Harri Evans was a bounce away from a break, but his kick ahead went away from his hands.

Pressure was building on the Cardiff defence as they were camped in their own line as the half drew to a close, but RGC were not able to batter through the bodies.   The try arrived after a Rugby League style high kick to the corner and Iolo Evans collected the ball on the jump to grab the touchdown.

Possession and territory stats were all in RGC’s favour at the beginning of the 2nd half with multiple phases inching RGC towards the line. Mei Parry was held up, Afon Bagshaw and Harri Evans went close as the pressure cranked up.

Finally they did break through when Iolo Evans took the crash ball to score.  McBryde kicked the conversion to give his side the lead.

The game was littered with turnovers, as the play became loose for both sides leading to a fairly frantic spell.

Scrum-half Jones again made a good break from the back off his pack, but Cardiff again chased him down.

The visitors regained the lead when former RGC player Llywarch Ap Myrddin went over the line, and Thompson again was on point for the extras.


As the rain fell heavier, both sides went looking for that crucial score in the last 20 minutes of the game but with Cardiff leading they began to play for territory and make sure that when RGC had the ball it was in their own half.

In turn a few kicks from RGC were short, which meant the visitors were able to peg the Gogs back.

RGC did find some space with the Tom Hughes break, but minutes later the game turned and the momentum and win headed back south to Cardiff.