Latest News

Back to winning ways

29 Dec 2018

RGC 38 Bridgend 15

Saturday 29th December 2018

RGC got back to winning ways, and ended the year with a much needed bonus point victory against Bridgend.

It was a much improved performance, with more intent with and without the ball for the 80 minutes.

Head Coach Mark Jones credited his side for bouncing back after last weeks defeat “We had better attitude and we talked about being more physical this week and working hard for each other from the kick off.  We are still lacking some quality, especially around the line-out which meant we stumbled around for field play and didn’t put opportunities away.”

“That said we did get 5 points, and not too many injuries but we need to start 2019 like we ended 2018 with a win next week at Newport.” 

“Today we came out the 2nd half with good intent, and during the break made a few tactical changes and from them we created and scored the Efan Jones try.  We need to be ruthless from the kick off, and make sure that continues after the break and not drop off the performance levels.”

“Teams have always target us physically around the set piece as we are a young side, and we have improved with Phil during the time I have been here but we can be better, which is great for us as coaches and we have something to work to.  “

Both sides battled for the upper hand in the opening minutes, and Bridgend put down a statement of intent with a massive scrum that lead to a penalty opportunity which Cai Evans kicked to claim the 1st points.

The homeside settled down and  started to play some good rugby, going through the phases. Winger Karl Martin made a break to cause some panic in the visitors defence. Credit to RGC who recycled the ball and waited to create a gap before Danny Cross darted over for the try. Billy McBryde added the extras

Centre Cross was having a good impact with ball in hand, and he made a break of 60 yards,  and he offloaded to Iolo Evans but his pass couldn't find RGC hands.  It was a big chance to score with Bridgend chasing in defence, and they would have been relieved to come away with the ball.

All the play was in the Bridgend half, and McBryde hit a kick on the angle for Martin to chase, but it bounced into touch.

The boot of McBryde was a called in to action again with the lead extended by a penalty.

Bridgend were unable to get out of their own half, due to some good RGC rush defence giving the visitors no time with the ball.

Karl Martin showed good hands collecting a high ball, and nullified the Bridgend attacking outlet.

Try number 2 came for the home side after a run from Mei Parry to break the defence before Danny Cross went over. McBryde again was on target with the conversion.

Tom Hughes and Danny Cross worked hard around the tackle area to get RGC on the front foot.

Bridgend went on the attack with Dewi Cross down the wing before a Karl Martin tap tackle stopped the run, minutes later Hughes was breaking down the wing for RGC in an end to end spell of rugby.

RGC came out the blocks the 2nd half with some good intent, which hasn’t always been the case this season, and they were rewarded with a try from Efan Jones.  McBryde again hit the conversion.

The visitors did get back in the game with a try from fly-half Jamie Murphy, but Evans pulled the conversion wide.

It was still frustrating at times, with RGC leaving a number of chances on the field after making some good runs to create n

The crowd were urging the side on for the bonus point try and it came via a big drive from the forwards and Evan Yardley claimed it. McBryde again claimed the conversion.

Replacement Cam Davies added some fresh legs in the 2nd half, and when he grabbed a loose ball he powered through the tackles to go at the posts. Cross got the extras.

The visitors gave their traveling fans something to cheer about with a late try, Evans kicked the conversion but it was only a consolation score as the day belonged to RGC