Latest News

RGC Win Against All Whites

16 Nov 2019

RGC 21 Swansea 3 Sat 16th November

Coach Josh Leach talked to the players about “controlling the opening of the game, and keeping the pace fast, and we did that in the first twenty minutes. A couple of poor restarts got them back in the game, but we did well to keep them out. We got the tempo back towards the end of the half and worked it well to get the try.

It was difficult to resume the tempo in the 2nd half, as they managed to slow the game down at the set-piece and with substitutes, but we kept them out for the 40 minutes which is a huge positive.

We also ended the game well with the try late ono, so overall it is a good performance to take into the Ebbw Vale game at home next Saturday.”

RGC had all the possession and all territory in the opening quarter with both Rhys Tudor and Tom Hughes proving good attacking options.

Around the breakdown Efan Jones was looking to recycle the ball quickly and get the backline moving.

Dion Jones had an opportunity as he spotted a gap, with numbers wide but the ball went loose before being called back for an RGC penalty.

Pressure was mounting on the Swansea line with a number of good scrums from RGC.  Tom Hughes and Tim Grey were both held up on the line before the referee awarded an penalty try.

RGC will be disappointed that they didn’t deal with the restart well, and Swansea were back in he game with a simple penalty.

The visitors then began to move the ball through hands, and had a good spell in attack.  RGC were making some errors which compounded their problems.

Swansea looked to put some pressure on the RGC whitewash, but credit to the RGC defensive work as the tackled strong and were disciplined at the breakdown.

The forwards were winning the battle at the scrum, and kept Swansea at bay.

RGC ended the half on a high after a quick tap penalty, and McBryde showed fast feet to run in under the posts.  The fly-half added the conversion to make it 14-3.

The 2nd half struggled to get going, with both sides playing in the middle of the field, with the game interrupted with handling errors.

It was a bit of a scrum fest for much of the half, but RGC were the ones coming out on top.

Defensively RGC were working well, and the fact they kept the visitors scoreless in the 2nd half shouldn’t go unnoticed.

They themselves did crossed the whitewash late in the game after the ball was switched wide and winger Rhys Tudor finished in the corner.  McBryde added the extras to make it 21-3.