Latest News

Share of the spoils in the storm

Share of the spoils in the storm 15 Feb 2020

All Square for RGC and Quins

RGC 15 Carmarthen Quins 15

Saturday 15th Feb 2020

Stadiwm Zip World

In the eye of Storm Dennis, both sides had to deal with some tough conditions at Stadiwm Zip World.

With the early kick off, it was Quins had the better of the game during the opening stages with some good handling and phase play as they looked to get the score.

The pressure was building and RGC were unable to stop the visitors crossing the line for the try.  Steff Marshall couldn't add the extras.

RGC needed so possession but were struggling to deal with the wind behind them, with a number of kicks going out on the full.

This was leading to both more Quins possession and also giving territory back to the visitors as well.

It was a pretty deflating watch from the touchlines, but Quins didn’t take advantage by adding any extra points.

Danny Cross was making his 100th appearance and to be fair didn’t see much of the ball, but he was working hard defensively and some good work around the breakdown let to an RGC turnover.

The Gogs finally got some ball in the Quins half and converted that into points when Andrew Williams dived over the line.  Billy McBryde gave his side the lead with the conversion.

RGC’s restart went out on the full, and Carmarthen were given easy possession again.  Minutes later a Steff Marshall penalty was hit well and the lead was in the visitor's favour.

Former RGC Academy player Morgan Williams went close to scoring but the referee adjudged a forward pass in the build-up.

The boot of McBryde hit another penalty just before halftime to make it 10-8, and both sided were probably relieved to get some rest bite from the gales.

RGC came out to the 2nd half to face the wind, and the expectation that Quins pack would use the driving maul to full effect.

Steff Marshall tried his luck with a penalty, but the wind pushed it wide.

With the weather turning for the worse, RGC turned the phases forward for the better. Some great ball retention edged them to the line before Dan Owen claimed the score. McBryde was unlucky with the kick.

The driving maul threat from Quins was still there, and it was no surprise that a try came from the pack.  It was hooker Shaun Evans that came up from the try line with the ball and the score.  Marshall was on point with the conversion to level the game.

Quins had a good spell pressing at the RGC defence, but credit to the Gogs who dug deep and managed to get bodies and boot the ball a key times.  Afon Bagshaw has lit up the pitch with tries in his 150 appearances, but crucially today he was clearing the line with some kicks.

Carmarthen started to force the passes, which was more down to RGC stifling the attacking maul and the handling errors increased for the visitors.  A strong defence and some good discipline create a perfect storm for RGC, who dealt with everything in front of them to see the attacks out.

In a game played in gales and driving rain, both sides competed to the final whistle but in the end shared the spoils.


Post Game Thoughts


Coach Josh Leach

"It was a fairly unique situation to play in such extreme conditions, and they only happen every few years. That said the game still means the same, so it is all about adapting.

I think both sides had the better of the game when they played into the wind.  Quins kicked well and managed to keep hold of the ball better in that opening 30 minutes, but crucially we took our chances when we got into scoring positions.

We had a chat at half time about what parts of the game we could control, so we kicked short into the win and had a good line chase.  Another pleasing aspect was our work rate around the corner and also how we controlled the clock.

Overall the result is probably a fair one with the draw."