Latest News

Second Half Effort Sees off Swansea

Second Half Effort Sees off Swansea 19 Feb 2022

RGC 29 Swansea 14
Saturday 19th February 2022
Parc Eirias

Head Coach Ceri Jones was happy with the points but felt his side could have performed better, especially in the opening half as RGC put in a 29-14 win in front of 948 supporters at Parc Eirias.

“I thought we were fortunate 1st half, and we capitalised from their errors.  We lacked energy and the penalty count was far too high in that opening 40 minutes from our perspective.
That said we have come away with the 5 points under tough conditions, and that is what we need at this stage of the season.
Credit to our maul defence as well, as we kept them out 5 times and if you can keep a team out from 5 yards then you nullify a big attacking weapon in this league.
We aren’t a team that likes to win ugly, as we like to play with the ball in hand, so for us to play the conditions today was positive.  2nd half our game control was better with Dion and Efan managing the opposition. Our performance was not where I wanted it to be, and I do have high standards but we got the bonus points win, so we take that and now focus on Ebbw Vale in 2 weeks”



The game’s opening score came after some good hands from wingers Sam Earl Jones and Zach Clow who combined to set up Rhodri King who finished in the corner. Dion Jones added the conversion.
Try number 2 came after Swansea overplayed a pass in RGCs half and Harri Evans got a boot to a loose ball before Matt Buchanan won the footrace to outsprint the Swansea players and managed to touchdown. RGC were putting in some good work around the breakdown as Swansea looked to get some points on the scoreboard.
Momentum shifted in the 25th minute after Jordan Scott was yellow carded and minutes later the visitors went in for the try. Fullback Cai Evans added the extras. Swansea then broke from deep and the field opened up before Harri Evans stopped the runner in full charge with a solid tackle that was felt in the stands. It was turning out to be the best spell of the game for Swansea and scrum-half Connor Tantum found himself on the wing before diving in the corner. Cai Evans hit the conversion to give his side the lead. Winger Hopkins was next to go close but he was held up on the line when the Gogs got some bodies between him and the ground.  Crucially this meant RGC headed into the break only 2 points behind after a lacklustre opening 40 minutes.

RGC opened the 2nd half on the front foot, with the boot of Dion Jones making sure the game was being played in the Swansea half.  The All Whites were forced to try and gain some territory with ball in hand but RGC were stifling them and the ball. The Gogs went ahead with a Dion Jones penalty, and from that point on kept that lead for the rest of the game. RGC began to dominate in attack, and it wasn’t long before they picked up another score.
Rhodri King controlled the ball and the pack to go over for his 2nd try of the match. Jones hit the extras. The pack had managed to keep Swansea out on several occasions and caused damage when they utilised the driving maul
Swansea did go close when Owen Thomas charged down a kick before he has bundled into touch by Bagshaw in one of the few attacking chances created in the half. RGC’s lead was extended with another penalty from Dion Jones as his side began to pull away. The task for Swansea was compounded when Liam Seaward was shown a yellow card after he had only recently come onto the field as a replacement. With the man advantage, RGC went over for the bonus point try, again the driving maul powered to the line and Brodie Coghlan grabbed the touchdown. Dion Jones again hit the conversion to seal an important home win.