Latest News

RGC Blow Ponty Away in 2nd Half Performance

RGC Blow Ponty Away in 2nd Half Performance 12 Oct 2019


RGC 26 Pontypridd 8

12th October 2019


A 2nd half performance of pace in attack and steel in defence earnt them an impressive bonus point win at Stadiwm Zip World.

It was the visitors who crossed the line 1st with former RGC prop going over for the try.

Unlike previous games this season, RGC re-grouped and got a hold of the game with some solid phase play and were rewarded with a try from Jordan Scott. McBryde added the extras.

They extended the lead with a superb attacking run from Tom Hughes who offloaded to McBryde to dive under the posts. The fly-half added the conversion.

The breakdown and turnovers where causing havoc for both sides, as the game opened up.

Tom Hughes was making a couple of breaks again, having a good ball with ball in hand.

Pontypridd edged back in the game with a penalty from Jones before halftime.


Whatever was said at halftime it worked as RGC came out firing in all cylinders. Efan Jones darted through but was unlucky with his kick ahead.

Beau Williams and Harri Evans set up some solid phases as the worked towards the Ponty line.

Jordan Scott was also making his presence none with big carriers.

The 3rd try came after Sam Rogers made some space before passing to Bagshaw who touched down.

George Roberts grabbed the bonus point, with some good footwork to jink pass the tackles to run over the line. McBryde hit the conversion.

The pace from the runners was electric, and Pontypridd were struggling to deal with it.

As much as the attack impressed the final 20 minutes was about defence, with some tackles from Tim Grey, Afon Bagshaw and Harri Evans all standing tall.

RGC went down to 14 men when Rhys Roberts was yellow carded, but it didn’t stop the work load of the defence who kept the waves of attack back from the visitors.

Bagshaw again made a try saving tackle after he dumped the Pontypridd attacker over the touchline.

Billy McBryde boot was clearing the ball at key times and the visitors were nilled in the 2nd half.