Latest News

Merthyr Edge Win in 9 Try Game

Merthyr Edge Win in 9 Try Game 25 Sep 2021

Merthyr 37 RGC 29

Saturday 25th September 2021


RGC suffered another defeat on the road, and some costly errors around the set-piece giving Merthyr the win in a 9 try 80 minutes.

The opening five minutes were played at a fast pace as RGC looked to set the tempo.  Efan Jones was controlling the backline with some quick passes and Afon Bagshaw utilising the boot well to put pressure on the homeside.

Both sides swapped penalties with Davies hitting the opener for Merthyr before Danny Cross levelled the scores.

Some handling errors were costing RGC some momentum as they looked to get the ball wide and run it.

Merthyr then scored after the pack worked to the line before Bradbury went over. Davies hit the conversion wide.

RGC were having to work hard to contain Merthyr and Jessie Williams made a great tackle as a break was on for the Ironmen.

The visitors took the lead when Tom Hughes sidestepped the tackle and combined with Harri Evans and Dan Owen before Hughes finished the move.  Cross added the extras to make it 8-10.

Afon Bagshaw had to leave the field with an injury, soon followed by Efan Jones.

Merthyr regained the lead when winger Norton ran in for a try in the corner with Davies kicking the conversion. 15-10.

Minutes later it was the Gogs turn to find space out wide and Dan Owen went over for a try.  Cross hit the difficult kick to make it 15-17 at halftime.

Merthyr began the 2nd half putting pressure on the RGC line, and they looked to power over on a few plays. That pressure resulted in a penalty try for the homeside and to make matters worse Sam Williams was given a yellow card.

The penalty count was ramping up for RGC and the pack were being put under the pump. 

Credit to the defence who managed to keep Merthyr out, but a Davies penalty made it 25-17.

RGC got back into the game with a Rhys Williams break and Tom Hughes finished it with the try. Sam Rogers hit the extras to make it a one-point game.

Minutes later the Gogs took the lead, with winger Clow showing some gas with a break and Harri Evans ran in to score and make it 25-29.

The visitors needed some composure and ball, but the lineout wasn’t firing and that enabled Merthyr to get some momentum and territory.  Especially as the breakdown penalty count was going in the home side's favour.

The score for the Ironmen came after multiple phases and then Alex Webber found a gap to touchdown. Davies conversion made it 32-29.

As the clock ticked down the game was being played in RGC’s half and another bizarre try was scored after Harri Evans collected a loose ball, but his pass from the floor went to no-one and Skuse collected to score and make the final score 37-29.

RGC head back to Parc Eirias to play Newport (2.30pm) next Saturday and will look to build on the positives in today's much improved performance.