Latest News

Back To Winning Ways

Back To Winning Ways 27 Oct 2018

RGC Impress in Bonus Point Win

RGC 40 Bargoed 7

27th October 2018

Head Coach Mark Jones saw his side get back to winning ways at Stadiwm Zip World, with a dominant first half performance full of good attacking rugby.

“We didn’t think we would win by this margin, and it was a good performance to match the result. It was pleasing to get the score early on and we then pushed on.  I had put some pressure on the boys asking for constancy and to play better for longer and to a man they did today.  We know when we do the simple things right then the performance comes from that, so today ball retention and having that platform was a key part. Hopefully the boys will see that as well, as those basics put us in good positions.”

“Last week when we lost it wasn’t the end of the world, and todays win doesn’t mean it is all sorted either.  We lost the spine of our team from last season, and we are building a new one and that takes time, but as you can see from today’s performance we are getting there.”

They came out the blocks and it took just two minutes to score when Joe Simpson crashed over the line. Billy McBryde hit the conversion.

RGC were moving the ball wide with some pace, which was causing the visitors problems as they pace they played at was frightening at times.

Bargoed did make a couple of breaks, causing a few scares for the home support.

Try number 2 came when Tom Hughes collected a kick ahead and raced through to touchdown.  It was a pleasing 15 minutes from RGC and they were working well with and without the ball.

Line speed was also impressive, with Bargoed being chased down as soon as they had the ball.  Dan Owen and Will Bryan were working well around the tackle area.

McBryde was being tested with the high ball, but he collected it well.

The pack were looking solid against a Bargoed side who had dominated Aberavon last week, and the RGC forwards were driving them  back time and time again so it was no surprise when Sam Wainwright grabbed try number 3.

Tom Hughes then opened up the defence with a scintillating break ghosting past the tackles, but his pass failed to find the hands of Danny Cross.

Efan Jones was having an impressive half at scrum-half, with some quick delivery to the back line.

Try bonus point was clinched just before halftime when the referee gave the penalty try when the maul was brought down.

Four minutes after the break Bryn Jones got over the line after some could phase play and McBryde added the extras.

Credit to Bargoed who had a good spell with ball in hand, and tested the RGC defence.  RGC worked well around the breakdown, and nullified much of the attack.

The visitors did get the consolation score when Darren Humphries dabbed down 5 minutes from time. Calum Jones fired conversion.

RGC reached the 40 point mark when replacement Aron Evans broke the tackles before Harri Evans finished with a try under the posts. McBryde kicked the conversion.