Latest News

5 Try Performance at Ponty

5 Try Performance at Ponty 21 Sep 2018

RGC racked up 4 tries and 24 points in the second half to blow away Pontypridd at Sardis Road

Pontypridd 18 RGC 32

Friday 21st September 2018

Pontypridd grabbed the opening try after Dale Stuckey grabbed the interception to run in from the halfway line which knocked the wind out of RGC’s sails. Ceri Sweeney added the conversion.

The home side were having the ball and the possession, controlling the play in the RGC half. They extended the lead after 10 minutes with a Sweeney penalty.  The whistle was going against RGC around the breakdown, adding to the pressure.

A number of errors were costing RGC, as a McBryde kick went out on the full.  Apart from an Afon Bagshaw run there wasn’t much to shout about for the RGC faithful in the opening 20 minutes.

As we reached halfway in the first half the Gogs began to make some in roads and some yards with the ball in hand. Tom Hughes and Rhys Williams were making some runs and RGC began to play in the opposition half.

Rhys Williams was held up on the line, after RGC worked the ball towards the whitewash.

RGC were pushing Ponty back, and after a number of scrums Tim Grey picked the ball from the back and went over for the try.  McBryde couldn’t make the conversion.

The fly-half was successful with the boot minutes later with a well struck penalty to bring the score deficit to two points.

It was a good spell for the visitors, but errors were still costing them. A Dion Jones clearance kick went out on the full, and minutes later Ponty took advantage with a penalty from Sweeney.

The half ended with an RGC attack, which would have given them confidence heading into the changing rooms.

That confidence took a knock in the opening play of the second half, when Ian George and the Ponty pack rumbled over for a try in the corner.

Pontypridd were again having more of the ball, but credit to the RGC defence who were nullifying the attacks.

Try number 2 for RGC came from a run from Rhys Davies, before Cam Davies show and go ended with the touchdown.

Dan Owen then made a big tackle to stop a Ponty attack down the wing when the try was on.

Credit to RGC who continued to run the ball from deep, with full-back Dion Jones starting many of the moves.

The Sardis Road crowd were urging their team on, and they had a couple of scrums to test RGC. After options were short, they shifted the ball wide and Afon Bagshaw was a fingertip away from an interception.

As the game reached the 60 minute mark it was clear with Ponty having a three point lead that the next score would be crucial.  RGC were the ones looking more relaxed and unlike last week against Ebbw Vale they got stronger as the game went on.

Dan Owen grabbed a brace of tries in quick succession, after some great work from the forwards and for the first time in the game RGC were in the lead. McBryde hit a great conversion as well.

As much as the backline will get the plaudits for the attacks, the pack deserve huge credit as the set-piece drives were straight from assistant coach Phil John’s textbook.

The game opened up and the Gogs found more space, which lead to the try of the match.

Man of the Match Tim Grey made a great offload to Cam Davies who ran from his own half before setting up speedster Sam Jones to dash down the wing to score.

Head Coach Mark Jones praised his side, especially the forwards “I’m delighted with the win, and the pack. Phil (John) has being doing a lot of work this week with our young pack, We will take this performance and look to build on it heading back to Stadwim Zip World for the Merthyr game next Friday"